AP is *not* the point

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 1 11:17:56 PDT 2001

Fearless Leader wrote:

> The mere intensity of state's handling of
> Jim Bell suggests that there is something
> genuine about AP, but what it is still
> escapes me.

I have to disagree.  AP is simply not workable in the real world.  It would
be trivial to spoof, scam or sting it.  The states over reacts for two
reasons.  (1) Paranoia--no matter how unlikely the threat, the bad guys are
compelled by their own guilty fear to take it seriously.  (2) To set an
example--The Chinese have a saying, "To frighten a dragon, kill a chicken."
Bell is no threat.  He's a powerless big-talker.  He's easy to squash, but
servers as an example of how far these government idiots are willing to go.
Remember, the government can only apply point force.  The only way they can
keep everyone in line is to co-opt the majority by assuming the guise of
moral/legal superiority, and by intimidation with an occasional
demonstration of ruthlessness.

> ps. I want to remind everyone not to
> miss the secret meeting in Washington,
> DC, on April 13, 8 pm, at Pedro's.

Actually, the REAL secret meeting is in San Francisco on the 13th at 7pm
(http://danger-island.com/party/).  Fearless Leader will personally preside
over the meeting.  Party favors will include small containers of ebola virus
for use on der tag.

 S a n d y  Cypherpunk Minister of Disinformation