CDR: Re: AES winner to be announced Monday.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 29 16:48:23 PDT 2000

At 6:36 PM -0400 9/29/00, Paulo S. L. M. Barreto wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Trei, Peter wrote:
>
>>  They (explicitly) won't say yet how many algorithms
>>  have been chosen as the AES.
>
>So NIST will be silent for three more days.  How about the finalist
>submitters?
>Did *they* tell anything? I'll bet NIST has contacted (or will contact)
>them regarding the forthcoming announcement.

"I'll bet the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has
contacted (or will contact) the winners of Oscars..."

There are stock market implications for who gets (and who does not
get) the winning AES pick. So it is unlikely that the winners will be
announced prior to the public announcement.

I'm not saying wink-and-nod leakage has not now occurred.

There is no need to alert the winner to be there, given that _all_ of
the contenders are likely to have paid lobbyists and staffers there.

I may be completely wrong on this. Maybe word got out. Maybe this is
why RSAS fell $2.80 today. Maybe not.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.