CDR: Re: Why Free Speech Matters

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Fri Sep 29 07:09:42 PDT 2000

"Riad S. Wahby" wrote:
> Except if the action is taking place on the property of the business,
> it is the owner's perogative to ask the people involved to leave.
> Property rights are just as important to the ballpark owner as
> personally expressive rights are to the lesbians at the baseball game.

I agree to all but the following:

> When I buy a ticket to a ballgame it is subject to the owner letting
> me in the ballpark.  I understand that when I buy the ticket, I take a
> risk in doing so; the owner can decide he doesn't want me on his
> property and throw me out.  The fact that I bought a ticket doesn't
> assure me that I'll be allowed to stay in the ballpark, it only
> assures me that I won't be turned away at the door.  The owner can
> still decide to throw me out at any time.

when I buy a ticket, I buy "access" to the game. nobody pays for tickets
just to be on the field. so if the owner throws me out I believe that he
should refund all or part of the ticket price, because he is not
delivering what I payed for (a live sports performance).