AES ANNOUNCEMENT: Monday, October 2, 2000

Jim Foti jfoti at nist.gov
Fri Sep 29 11:13:17 PDT 2000

[I'm sending this to those who have expressed interest in the AES
Development Effort over the last several years. Thanks.  Jim]

AES ANNOUNCEMENT:
Monday, October 2, 2000

NIST will announce its selection which will be proposed for the Advanced
Encryption Standard.

TIME:
11:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (local time in Washington, DC)

PLACE:
Lecture Room D, Administration Bldg. (Bldg. 101), NIST, Gaithersburg,
Maryland, USA

PARTICIPANTS:
Under Secretary of Commerce for Technology Dr. Cheryl L. Shavers
NIST Director Ray Kammer
Acting Chief of NIST's Computer Security Division Ed Roback

WEBCAST:
Anyone who wishes to view a real-time webcast of the press conference may
do
so by accessing <http://real.nist.gov> and then clicking on "LIVE
BROADCASTS." That site also contains links to various streaming media
players.

OTHER:
Following the announcement, NIST will be posting its "Report on the
Development of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)" at the AES home
page
<http://www.nist.gov/aes/>.

Additionally, the number and name(s) of NIST's selection for the AES will
NOT be announced before the official announcement (so PLEASE do not
contact
me with that question, because I will not be able to respond).