CDR: Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn defend Al Gore

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Sep 29 08:15:55 PDT 2000

http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/09/29/0711253&mode=thread

    Did Al Gore Really Invent the Internet?
    posted by cicero on Friday September 29, @02:11AM
    from the resuscitating-al-gore's-image dept.

    As the election nears, Net-pioneers Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn
    are busy defending Al Gore. The veep's invented-here crack
    about creating the Internet, they claim in their article attached
    below, has been terribly misunderstood. Now, we're fans of the
    TCP/IP-inventing duo, but it's been a long time in political ecology
    since Cerf famously joked 15 years ago in parody RFC968 that: "Twas
    the night before start-up and all through the net, not a packet was
    moving; no bit nor octet..." Things are more complicated now, and
    MCI's Cerf has morphed from an IETF geek into a Washington powerbroker
    and Friend of Bill and Al. Cerf showed up at the New Year's Eve White
    House millennium gala, spoke at an October 1999 White House
    "Millennium Evening" lecture, and appeared with the president and vice
    president at a July 1997 event to introduce administration policy
    proposals. We note that other prominent figures recently have made
    similar attempts to rescue Gore's tattered image among techies. But a
    more neutral description of the vice president's role in history is,
    we think, a fine 1999 article by author Virginia Postrel.

Their article:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/09/29/0711253&mode=thread