CDR: Re: Algorithm queston.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 29 10:58:36 PDT 2000

At 3:04 PM +0000 9/29/00, Steve Thompson wrote:
>Perhaps this message would be better directed to the coderpunks list, but I
>shall take a chance and post it here since I have little programming skill to
>speak of.
>
>To correct my ignorance on current cryptography issues, I have been browsing
>the archives.  Some time ago, there was quite a bit of talk about the MISTY
>algorithm, although I did not chance upon any pointers to an actual
>implementation.  Since the character of the messages which I did read seemed
>to be (loosely speaking) light-hearted, I cannot decide whether the algorithm
>is some sort of `in' joke, or whether it was a cryptographic algorithm which
>didn't `cut it' under peer review.
>
>Are there any old-timers who recall the algorithm in question?

The Web is the best place to search. Using Google, I just turned up
more than 1200 hits in a few seconds. A main site is:
http://www.mitsubishi.com/ghp_japan/misty/200misty.htm

As for its strength, this, too, is available from analyses on the Web
and from the Crypto Conference Proceedings.

As for the jokes, you need to read the context. Some guy, or bot,
would appear on the list and pretent to be asking questions in broken
English. A la "What am Misty?"

Then he offered to sell access to the source code. Then he asked
"What am Misty?"

He never responded as a person, not even getting upset at the
derision directed his way. He gave no indication that he was even
receiving mail.

I would have thought this was all clear from reading a handful of the
"light-hearted" posts you spoke of.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.