CDR: Re: Discrimination

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Fri Sep 29 01:47:11 PDT 2000

Tim May wrote:
> (I understand that there are compelling issues of taxation and
> "public facilities" at work here. A parent who has been forced to pay
> taxes for N years to support public schools is justified in wanting
> his kid in the public school system. This is first and foremost an
> example of why schools should be privatized. The argument that
> schools are a "necessity" is not persuasive. Food is also a
> necessity, and yet grocery stores and supermarkets are all private in
> the U.S. (not counting military base commissaries and the like). This
> is a separate issue, for another article.)

that is a later-day justification. the original intent for a public
school system, when it was first created in prussia, was that the
military leadership realized that educated men can handle the
increasingly high-tech weapons of the era better.

I guess the same goes today. you need people to be able to read if you
don't want your ad billions wasted. and of course you need a large pool
of workforce with basic education nowadays.