CDR: visor phone vs. starium?

A. Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Thu Sep 28 12:18:24 PDT 2000

from the clueless dept:

Why would I want a PDA-phone hybrid?

                       Why do I have the uneasy feeling the newly announced
                       Motorola/Palm product, due in 2002, may end up combining
                       everything Palm knows about cell phones with everything Motorola knows about personal
                       organizers?

                                       Is it that none of the current devices even comes close to being useful
                                       for most people who already own a cell phone and a PDA? Dont
                                       take my word for it: Check out the MobilePlanet and iGO catalogs,
                                       where the latest wireless wonders are all on display. Sure, theyre
                                       cool, but are they useful?

                                       And how about those new devices that are supposed to turn Palms
                                       and Visors into cell phones? Give me a break -- Im supposed to talk
                                       into something that looks like that? How useful can the combination
                                       really be? Cool? Yes. Practical? Hardly. And $299 seems a bit steep.

                                       Is this really necessary?
<snip>
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20000926/tc/keep_your_phone_off_my_palm__1.html

The real issue will be power consumption vs. mips for
crypto.  And user interfaces.