CDR: Re: Shunning, lesbians and liberty

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Thu Sep 28 10:38:10 PDT 2000

At 10:43 AM 9/27/00 -0400, Sampo A Syreeni wrote:

>I think it is a workable argument that it is better to have such social
>rules encoded in law instead of having people come up with them at will and
>imposing them on others through shunning, lynching or whatever. In theory at
>least you will then know in advance whether something you have done will be
>'illegal'. Besides, current law in most countries holds precisely that sort
>of stuff. Probably the best Finnish example is conscript duty. (No, I'm not
>saying that isn't nightmarish.)

The Federal register is a US government pub that goes out every business
day.  Circa 1200 pages a day of published rules, regs, and other
garbage.  Just for the federal government not the states.  No court
decisions or administrative rulings in it.  Just reading it to find out
your orders from your rulers would take all day and would be very
incomplete.  But you (Americans) are bound to obey all of them on pain of
fine or imprisonment.

Social conventions are complex but not that complex and we are hard wired
to figure those out.  We're not hard wired to read thousands of pages a day
of bureaucratese and figure out what it means.

DCF
----
Have you read your ruler's orders today?  Better start reading they're
gaining on you:  http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/fr-cont.html