CDR: Re: Re: Shunning, lesbians and liberty

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 28 02:30:08 PDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>I call such incompliance evolutionary pressure.  Let us hope that you
>are not really such a complete nincompoop as to get into the middle
>of a 200-mile diameter stretch of desert without having provided for
>your own sustenance or transport the hell out of there.  Freedom
>entails not just the right, but the *RESPONSIBILITY*, to take care of
>yourself.  As the sole posessor of the right to get yourself into
>such a situation, you are also the sole posessor of the responsibility
>to make sure you can get out of it.

Oh but it is quite possible to put people in similar trouble if we grant
that the right to property is absolute - if somebody owns on a sufficiently
wide scale the basic commodities one needs to survive in the modern world
(like fresh water, farming land, employment opportunities), others are born
right in the middle of the proverbial desert.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university