CDR: Why Free Speech Matters

Riad S. Wahby rsw at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 27 20:17:09 PDT 2000

Jim Choate <ravage at ssz.com> wrote:
> Trying to 'shun' somebody for their non-invasive behaviour (e.g. two dykes
> kissing in a ball park) is the peak of anti-freedom. If a person really
> respects freedom it is more than 'freedom for me but not for thee'.

There's a difference, though.  There cannot be any law saying that two
dykes can't kiss in a ball park, but neither can there be a law saying
that a private organization has to accept it in their place of
business.  The ball park may seem a borderline case, but clearly the
baseball association and that particular ball park are both private
organizations; thus they have the right to do as they please.  This is
not to say that doing so is strictly politic, but that's for them to
worry about.

> The kissing of the girls was nobodies business, in or out of the park in a
> FREE society.

Right, but neither is it the government's business what the ball park
or the baseball association does with the dykes in its park.

--
Riad Wahby
rsw at mit.edu
MIT VI-2/A 2002