CDR: Re: Why Free Speech Matters

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Sep 27 21:12:24 PDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Riad S. Wahby wrote:

> There's a difference, though.  There cannot be any law saying that two
> dykes can't kiss in a ball park, but neither can there be a law saying
> that a private organization has to accept it in their place of
> business.

There is NO difference. The fact that it's a business is irrelevant. It's
basic inter-personal respect.

I don't know about a law, if the basic society doesn't understand the
philosophy then the 'law' certainly won't fix that problem.

Bottem line, within the context of 'freedom' (for the dykes or business
alike) unless it can be shown that the act will directly
interfere with that place of business then the business has no say in it.
In other words, the personal likes and dislikes of the owner are NOT
expresible through the actions of the business.

Simply running a business does NOT increase ones ability to manage others
actions. Simply wanting to buy an item does not require that I surrender
one iota of my personal liberty.

The act by the business of refusing to service me as a customer because I
don't have the lifestyle they like IS most certainly an infringement of
the civil liberties of the customers and they should be able to take
action accordingly against the business for trying to constrain their
liberty.

Your freedom means you NEVER have a say in my freedom. Only my (or your)
abuse of that freedom.

Demonstrate that the two dykes infringed the right of the owner to try to
make a profit. Then, and only then, will you have a case to infringe their
right to express their beliefs.

Would it have mattered if it was a guy and his girlfriend? If so, why?
Why is a man and a woman kissing not infringing or damaging but two
women/men is?

It's irrational (which is reason enough to question the business
operations - their supposed to be rational) and it's coercive.

As usual, more 'freedom for me, but not for thee'. Typical
anarcho-capital-crypto-libertarian bullshit.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com