CDR: A correction about IR usage

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Sep 27 20:24:31 PDT 2000

Hi,

I've noticed several people mention using IR to look through walls.

Doesn't work that way. What the cops are looking through are your windows.

If you don't believe me just peruse around the many security sites
displaying IR and thermal imagers. Lot's of them have pictures. Not one of
them will show the interior of a building in any detail. Better yet, go to
your local security or gun dealer and ask for a demo. Try to shoot through
the walls of the store (or the house across the street). Hell, try
shooting a car and identifying the type of engine.

By the time the coherent radiation (needed to make an image) passes
through two layers of sheet-rock and some quantity of insulation the best
you'll get is a dull glow distributed across the entire wall. The only
exception might be if you had a blow torch or opeh hearth furnace in your
house.

As to the windows, mylar emergency blankets and bubble pack work great
(I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out which side of the mylar needs
to go out).

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com