CDR: Re: police IR searches to Supremes

Richard Fiero rfiero at pophost.com
Wed Sep 27 17:50:38 PDT 2000

Sampo A Syreeni writes:

. . .

>Well, I think that as long as a conventional photograph is taken from a
>public place, it does not constitute a punishable breach of privacy. What's
>so very different about doing the same thing with IR?
>
>Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university

One could argue that all electromagnetic radiation is in the public
domain and receivable. However it is illegal to have equipment capable
of receiving cell phone conversations because the rights of the
telephone company and the rights of the conversants could be violated.
IR equipment is capable of seeing far more from outside a house than
just the wall temperature. This kind of surveillance is clearly
invasive, in my opinion.