CDR: Re: RISKS

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Sep 27 17:14:09 PDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Marcel Popescu wrote:

> In my opinion, everything should be left to the market to solve, and nothing
> to politicians. I'd agree with you about the courts if they were private.

If people played 'fair' and actualy stayed within the very limiting
confines of theoretical free markets this would work (probably).

Unfortunately people don't work that way so it won't work that way.

By the time the market can collect the information the abusers are hidding
it's too late for the market to correct. In human socieities there must be
some form of 3rd party arbitration/regulation.

Now the question as to whether this is best served by a central power
structure or a more distibuted one (e.g. polyocracy) is an open question.

I would say historical evidence shows the distributed model is better
because it works on a more local and familiar level.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com