CDR: Re: <nettime> Rebirth of Guilds

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Sep 27 17:10:19 PDT 2000

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, David Honig wrote:

> So if someone gives their kid a buck and drops them off at a video
> arcade, who has initiated action?  The parent, not the arcade.

Ah, but now you've changed the topic of discussion and hoping nobody will
notice. We're not talking about the behaviour of the kid or the parents
right to drop them off.

We ARE talking about the responsibility of a vendor to provide information
to the consumer (which is after all the parent even if the kid is spending
the money by proxie) per the standard free market model. Simply because
the kid was dropped off does not eliminate the responsiblity of the vendor
to the parent.

Remember, for a free market to work the information must be shared AND
maximized. This means that even if one parent walks in and asks the games
to be rate the vendors responsibility is to maximize that information.

Per Hayek,

- a homogenous commodity offered and demanded  by a large number of
  relatively small sellers or buyers, none of whom expects to exercise
  by his action a perceptible influence on price.

- Free entry into the market and absence of other restraints on the
  movement of prices and resources.

- Complete knowledge of the relevant factors on the part of all
  participants in the market.

It's that last one that blows your thesis straight to hell.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com