CDR: Re: Shunning, lesbians and liberty

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Sep 27 18:43:40 PDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Riad S. Wahby wrote:

>Sampo A Syreeni <ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

>No, not at all.  A shopkeeper who owns a private shop has the right to
>sell only to certain people and not to others, and the distinction the
>shop owner makes between those he will sell to and those he will not
>is his alone to make.

>> A hypothetical: I own everything around you for some 100 miles. Let's say
>> that 100 miles happens to be desert. Your failure to comply with my wish of
>> transportation the hell out of there or sustain me is equivalent to killing
>> me. I call such incompliance oppression.

I call such incompliance evolutionary pressure.  Let us hope that you
are not really such a complete nincompoop as to get into the middle
of a 200-mile diameter stretch of desert without having provided for
your own sustenance or transport the hell out of there.  Freedom
entails not just the right, but the *RESPONSIBILITY*, to take care of
yourself.  As the sole posessor of the right to get yourself into
such a situation, you are also the sole posessor of the responsibility
to make sure you can get out of it.

Of course, as a believer in the free market, I support the right of
anyone to charge "whatever the traffic will bear" in such a situation
for sustenance or transport - and it seems to me that unprepared
traffic might be ready to bear some extreme prices.  And worth every
penny for the object lesson in preparedness.

>You have a right to life.  You do not have the right not to die.
>There is a difference.  Neither I nor anyone else have to sustain your
>life; all that is required of our respecting your right not to die is
>that we don't kill you.

It can be a subtle concept to those not accustomed to sole
responsibilities going with autonomous rights -- but this
is exactly correct.  When you have the right to do as you
please, the only way to not die is to not please to do really
stupid things.  If nobody has the right to stop you, nobody
should be expected to put themselves out to rescue you either.

If I were expected to rescue all the idiots I've seen throwing
their odds of survival or success away by doing idiotic things,
I'd have gone mad long ago.

					Ray