CDR: Re: <nettime> Rebirth of Guilds

Jim Burnes jburnes at savvis.net
Wed Sep 27 11:24:37 PDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, James A.. Donald wrote:
> --
>
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Tim May wrote:
>  > > Lynching is an act of physical aggression, not at all the same thing
>
> as choosing not to trade with someone, not to invite him into one's home,
> not to interact with him.
>
> At 06:32 AM 9/27/2000 -0400, Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
>  > In my mind, that is a rather fine line.
>
> You have difficulty telling the difference between being cold to someone
> and hitting over the head with a baseball bat?
>
> Do they allow you metal knives and forks in the institution where you
> reside, or are you only allowed plastic spoons?
>
> If they permitted you anything not made of soft rubber, you would soon
> figure out the difference.

Touche!

Very good.

Its amazing.  Sampo seems like a normal, well spoken person.

Hypothetical situation, Sampo.

Guy likes a girl.  Wants to have sex with her.  She doesn't like him
and does not want to associate with him because he's a boor,
unintelligent, ugly whatever.  She shuns him (as does every other
woman in the village).  Guy is unhappy.  Doesn't like being shunned.
Maybe he has strange notions of male-female relations.

Judge Sampo comes in and orders forced sex with any woman the guy
chooses because, after all, he deserves to be loved and being
shunned is just like being hit over the head with a ball-peen
hammer.

Forced relations are fine with Judge Sampo, unfortunately everyone
else views it as rape and kicks the Judge and the bad guy out of
town (normally they would have executed him, but they abhor violence ;-)

Freedom of association obviously implies the freedom to choose
with whom you associate as does the freedom of speech imply choosing
the words you speak.  You cannot delegate to the state the power
to force someone to associate with someone else because you never
had the right to begin with.  If you do get the state to do it for you, it
will be enforced with guns, theft and prison terms.

You find that less abhorrent than people not associating with people
you think they should be associating with?

Time to get back to modus ponens and tollens for you, Sampo.
(Or like one of my philosophy teachers once said, "Send him
back to his parents.  I can do nothing with him.")

jim

--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government of
himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we