CDR: Re: Olympic email snooping -- FBI-style

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Sep 26 13:36:20 PDT 2000

At 12:44 PM -0400 9/26/00, David Honig wrote:
>At 02:50 PM 9/25/00 -0400, anonymous at openpgp.net wrote:
>>Okay, so maybe I have just blown the lid off a plan that could save lives,
>>but it is hard for me to imagine a scenario in which some terrorist will
>>stop on his way to plant a bomb to e-mail the boss about that bomb's
>>location. This looks to me like overkill, and I don't like it. Or am I the
>>only one who feels this way?
>
>Maybe some enterprising artist will place bumperstickers on the
>kiosks labelling them Carnivore II stations... or Echelon for
>our furriner friends...

Back in 1993, as Clipper was unfolding, I drew up a logo for use on
such pieces of equipment:

Big

Brother

Inside

Done, of course, in the "Intel Inside" tradition.

I understand that at least a couple of enterprising folks have had
batches of stick-on labels made.

Personally, I think it's a tempest in a teapot. _Of course_ using
someone else's computers is a security disaster...this has been
well-known for decades. If someone uses Coca Cola's kiosk, or IBM's
kiosk, or whatever, then they can expect passwords to be unsecure.

End to end encryption is the only real solution. By two years from
now there should be more of this, especially on PDAs and WebPad types
of devices.

Now what would be worrisome, and unconstitutional, would be some sort
of ban on such end to end encryption for the Games, or the
participants, or in general.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.