WPI Cryptoseminar, Wednesday, Sept 27

Christof Paar christof at ece.WPI.EDU
Tue Sep 26 06:31:50 PDT 2000

Here we go again, the Cryptoseminar starts again. As alway, attendance
is free and everybody is welcome. - Christof Paar

             WPI Cryptography Seminar

  Elliptic Curve Cryptography on Smart Cards without
                   Coprocessors

                  Christof Paar
                       WPI

             Wednesday, September 27
                 4:30 pm, AK 218
            (refreshments at 4:15 pm)

This talk describes joint work by Adam Woodbury, Dan Bailey, and
Christof Paar.

This talk will discuss how an elliptic curve cryptosystem can be
implemented on very low cost microprocessors with reasonable
performance. We focus in this paper on the Intel 8051 family of
microcontrollers popular in smart cards and other cost-sensitive
devices. The implementation is based on the use of an optimal
extension field (OEF) which is particularly suited for low end 8-bit
processors. Two advantages of our method are that subfield modular
reduction can be performed infrequently, and that an adaption of Itoh
and Tsujii's inversion algorithm is used for the group operation. We
show that an elliptic curve scalar multiplication with a fixed point,
which is the core operation for a signature generation, can be
performed in a group of order 2^134 in less than 2 sec. Unlike other
implementations, we do not make use of curves defined over a subfield
such as Koblitz curves.

This work was also presented at the CARDIS 2000 Smart Card Conference
which was held last week in Bristol, UK.

DIRECTIONS:

The WPI Cryptoseminar is being held in the Atwater Kent building on the
WPI campus. The Atwater Kent building is at the intersection of the
extension of West Street (labeled "Private Way") and Salisbury Street.
Directions to the campus can be found at
  http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/directions.html

ATTENDANCE:

The seminar is open to everyone and free of charge. Simply send me a
brief email if you plan to attend.

TALKS IN THE SPRING 2000 SEMESTER:

9/27  Christof Paar et al., WPI
      Elliptic Curve Cryptography on Smart Cards without Coprocessors

10/11 Prof. William Martin, WPI
      Combinatorics in Modern Cryptography

10/25 Prof. Berk Sunar, WPI
      TBA

11/9  Susan Landau, Sun Microsystems Laboratories
      Have the Crypto Wars Been Won?

11/22 Seth Hardy, WPI
      Elliptic Curve Point Counting with the CM Method in Java

TBA   Adam Woodbury, WPI
      Public-key Cryptography in Constraint Environments
      (MS Thesis presentation)

See
  http://www.ece.WPI.EDU/Research/crypt/seminar/index.html
for talk abstracts.

MAILING LIST:

If you want to be added to the mailing list and receive talk
announcements together with abstracts, please send me a short email.
Likewise, if you want to be removed from the list, just send me a
short email.

Regards,

Christof Paar

! WORKSHOP ON CRYPTOGRAPHIC HARDWARE AND EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (CHES 2001)!
!                  Paris, France, May 13-16, 2001                    !
!                       www.chesworkshop.org                         !

                 Christof Paar,  Assistant Professor
          Cryptography and Information Security (CRIS) Group
      ECE Dept., WPI, 100 Institute Rd., Worcester, MA 01609, USA
fon: (508) 831 5061    email: christof at ece.wpi.edu
fax: (508) 831 5491    www:   http://ee.wpi.edu/People/faculty/cxp.html