CDR: Re: <nettime> Rebirth of Guilds

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 26 03:31:10 PDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Tim May wrote:

>I think "cooperative isolation of someone" is a natural thing.
>Shunning, isolation, expulsion...it's how groups deal with characters
>they don't like.

Indeed. Lynch mobs are a rational extension of the basic principle.

>An empty comment. "Tolerance" subsumes the right of some to be "intolerant."

Yes it does, doesn't it. But the sense I use the word in mostly operates wrt
intangible things - physically removing someone from a venue isn't covered.

>Frankly, "discrimination" ought to be a goal, not the "hateword" it
>has become since the commies took over in the 60s.

Huh? Obviously you have never been confronted with expert discrimination
yourself.

>As for your country, Finland, might I suggest you start letting in
>large numbers of refugees and other "darkies"?

I'm a person, not a country. Were I to decide, I'd have no problem with the
'darkies'. In fact the extreme ethnic homogeneity here is pretty boring.

[Snip on Nordic hypocricy...]
>Niggardly of them, it would seem.

Rather.

>Let's see what happens when the average Swede or Finn is paying 70%
>of his income in taxes to support illiterate, thieving peasants and
>Gypsies.

Actually you do not need 70% taxes to get this effect. It already exists, as
you so nicely pointed out. But... This particular point has very little to
do with removing the lesbians from a venue (ballpark, was it?) - in fact,
the financial incentive of your example could be used to argue for inviting
the poor gals back in. Paying customers, see...

As for financial support to illiterate thieving peasants, the concept of
tolerance hardly subsumes something like that. Regardless of nationality,
skin color or whatever, no sane government poor indiscriminate amounts of
money on under-achieving idiots. It's just a matter of setting the limits of
welfare rationally.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university