CDR: Why Free Speech Matters

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Sep 25 16:52:12 PDT 2000

At 11:55 PM +0200 9/25/00, Konrad Podloucky wrote:

>You got an interesting point there. Being a "latter-day euro"
>(from a country which has been accused of having a fascist
>government by most of Europe, but that's another story) I don't
>really get it that if I were a Jew (homosexual, guy with a
>non-german name, ... pick your favorite) I'd have to tolerate a
>group of loonies who don't grant me the right to live.
>Sure I can't force you to like me or be nice to me, but I think
>there are certain very basic rules, each of us has to obey,
>which make living in a society possible. Let's face it: Society
>isn't self-regulating and as soon as an ideology, philosophy or
>whatever severely restricts the way of life of a group it's not
>worth being tolerated, IMNSHO. The very least I expect from a
>fellow human being is that (s)he acknowledges my right to exist.
>Personally I think, burning their literature is going a step too
>far, but being a European, I understand why they (esp. the
>French) are so afraid of Nazism. But the Anti-Nazi Hysteria is
>the wrong way to go.

>First, a point of clarification in your language. Your phrase " I'd
>have to tolerate a
group of loonies who don't grant me the right to live. " suggests
that in countries with free speech (nominally, the U.S.) that there
is some acceptance of crimes of physical violence. Not so.

Saying that Jews should be liquidated is generally legal. There are
no laws in the U.S. banning books or articles saying this, nor laws
banning Nazi literature, Nazi regalia, etc.

(There are attempts by certain Zionist-funded groups like the
Southern Poverty Law Center to bankrupt groups like Aryan Nation on
trumped-up grounds of "incitement" and "complicity." Sadly, the
liberal simp-wimp commies in America are leading our nation in the
direction Germany and Austria have gone. Leading some of us to wonder
just who really did win the Second World War.)

On to the main issue, that of "free speech" and why it matters.

There's much that can be said here...entire books on the issue of
what "free speech" means, and why it is A Good Thing.

Obviously, "free speech" means no laws abridging the expression of
opinions, however unpopular or heinous. Free speech does NOT mean
"free actions," importantly. In a society with free speech, it is
perfectly permissable--in the sense of being legal--to advocate
liquidation of the Jews, to propose enslavement of blacks, whatever.
It is NOT generally permissable to _implement_ these ideas,
naturally. And therein lies the difference.

I cannot do justice to the arguments for why the free speech outlook
is preferable to one in which Bad Thoughts are not legally
expressable. One avenue of thought is that such basics, e.g., as
embodied in the U.S. Bill of Rights, are "Schelling points" for
stable societies. Sort of a "I'll agree to not interfere with your
words and what you read and whom you associate with if you agree not
to do the same with me; but you'd better not try to coerce me into
your worldview or initiate force against me or I'll respond with
massive force."

(This is not the most elegant expression of this point of view, but
perhaps you get the idea.)

This "Schelling point" approach is what "open societies" have largely
settle upon over the centuries. "Live and let live." Or, as I like to
think of it, a kind of Neo-Calvinist approach: if my neighbor wants
to goof off and watch porn all day and go to Klan and Nazi rallies
every weekend, that is his choice and it is actually _immoral_ for me
to interfere in his choices to fuck up his life."

As for Germany, Austria, and all of the other countries which claim
to be liberal democracies, open societies, but which have various
laws banning Nazi literature, imprisoning people for expressing their
view that the Holocaust was exaggerated, and so on, their policies
are both _wrong_ and _counterproductive_.

Nothing has made Nazism more interesting to young persons, mostly
young men, than the hint of illegality. "If they don't want me to
know about this, there must be something to it." Plus, the usual
flaunting of disrespect for authority.

Would such anti-Nazi laws have stopped Hitler's rise to power in the
1930s? Maybe. Maybe it just would have been called something else, to
"game around" whatever the specific language of the laws might have
been.

And, of course, the German and Austrian governments of the time
changed the laws as they saw fit.

Of course, the crypto relevance of all of this is that strong crypto
is already making it possible to distribute Nazi and neo-Nazi
material in these countries without any possibility that the
governments can halt the flow.

This will make such laws moot, which is a good thing.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.