CDR: Re: <nettime> Rebirth of Guilds

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Sep 25 02:02:20 PDT 2000

At 4:36 AM -0400 9/25/00, Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Tim May wrote:
>
>>If a venue or site or company or piece of property is
>>privately-owned, then all liberty-advocating persons would certainly
>>say the owners have every right to tell lesbians and queers to stay
>>out.
>>
>>"If you don't want to see lesbians kiss, come to PacBell Park!"
>
>So how do you feel, for instance, about bullying in the form of cooperative
>isolation of someone by his/her peers? Certainly everybody has the /right/
>not to speak to someone...

I think "cooperative isolation of someone" is a natural thing.
Shunning, isolation, expulsion...it's how groups deal with characters
they don't like.

Government has no role whatsoever to play in such actions, which in
the U.S., at least, and for the foreseeable future, are supposedly
protected by the "freedom of association" language of the
Constitution.

>Only that sort of thing harms people more than an occasional, physical
>punch, something which few liberty-advocating people would say is tolerable.
>
>I think liberty should carry a pricetag of tolerance.

An empty comment. "Tolerance" subsumes the right of some to be "intolerant."

Frankly, "discrimination" ought to be a goal, not the "hateword" it
has become since the commies took over in the 60s.

As for your country, Finland, might I suggest you start letting in
large numbers of refugees and other "darkies"? Countries like Finland
and Sweden are fond of yapping about the discrimination in the U.S.,
but are predictably lacking in letting in large numbers of Gypsies,
Romanians, Nigerians, Sierra Leonans, Turks, and other such races.

Niggardly of them, it would seem.

Let's see what happens when the average Swede or Finn is paying 70%
of his income in taxes to support illiterate, thieving peasants and
Gypsies.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.