CDR: Re: <nettime> Rebirth of Guilds

James B Windle jbwnyc at lycos.com
Sun Sep 24 22:05:15 PDT 2000

While agreeing about the rights of property owners, many of the newly build or renovated ballparks have either been financed with municipal bond offerings making the government a creditor of the team or are owned by municipalities and leased to the teams and thus not even nominally private property. For instance here in New York the issue of where the Yankees will play in the future involves the governor, the mayor and the borough presidents of the Bronx and Manhattan as the current stadium is owned by the city as a result of the last renovation and the proposed new stadium on the upper west side would be paid for partially with tax free municipal bonds and partially by the state, owned by the city and leased to the Yankees at a concessional rate.  Though I don't have  the facts about all the stadiums built or renovated in the last decade or so, I think this is pretty standard stuff.  Governments try to impose their rules on anyone who partakes of their largesse thus the own!
er!
!
!
!
s have compromised their independence.
--

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:50:58
 Tim May wrote:

>At 6:20 PM -0400 9/23/00, David Honig wrote:
>>At 01:42 PM 9/23/00 -0400, Jim Choate wrote:
>>>The failure of capitalism is the failure to recognize that human beings
>>>have rights and that business is simply an expression of individual
>>>rights. Rights allow one to pursue an activity until that behaviour
>>>infringes anothers right to engage in their activity (in this case raising
>>>their children).
>>
>>Having a child gives you no extra rights to control others' behavior.
>>
>>If you don't want to see lesbians kiss, stay out of the ballpark.
>>
>>[the latter a reference to two lesbians being evicted from a
>>baseball game for kissing (yes, in Calif, in 2000), when mixed-sex couples
>>were doing the  same.  the baseball corporation thereafter recanted, and
>>gave 5K tickets to homosexual groups, thereby saving themselves a major
>>lawsuit]
>
>Ball parks are nominally private (pace your "baseball corporation" comment)/
>
>If a venue or site or company or piece of property is
>privately-owned, then all liberty-advocating persons would certainly
>say the owners have every right to tell lesbians and queers to stay
>out.
>
>"If you don't want to see lesbians kiss, come to PacBell Park!"
>

>--Tim May
>

>--
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>ComSec 3DES:   831-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.

Get your FREE Email and Voicemail at Lycos Communications at
http://comm.lycos.com