Chaumian cash redux

Somebody Somebody
Sat Sep 23 14:29:24 PDT 2000

"R. A. Hettinga" wrote:

> --- begin forwarded text
>
> Date: 23 Sep 2000 05:37:39 -0000
> From: Anonymous <nobody at remailer.ch>
> To: rah at shipwright.com
> Cc: dbs at philodox.com, cypherpunks at cyberpass.net
> Subject: Re: Chaumian cash redux
>
> Bob forwards:
> > At the EFF end-of-RSA ball in SF last night David Chaum stood up and
> > said a few enigmatic words:  "Great to be here, and what's really
> > important now is that we all come together and have a common approach.
> > I've looked at the old ecash and, (wry smile) there were a few
> > problems.  But I've got some ideas about how to fix it and make it
> > available in a way which avoids the kind of wars we've had in the past.
> > I had wanted to make more of an announcement tonight, but the legal
> > stuff is (as always) taking longer than I'd anticipated.  So,  thank
> > you."  [applause]
>
> Pretty interesting.  I wonder if he has an interesting new patent
> unencumbered way to do ecash, and if he's going to make it patent
> free.

Between you and me, I heard he was talking about something called a
"Patent Pool", which makes me think, strangely, that patent-free ain't
what we're going to get. I dunno whether this was part of the public
speech, though, which is why I'm not posting publicly.

Cheers,

<Somebody's .sig>

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA