CDR: Qualcomm bouncing MIME messages

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Sep 23 01:00:35 PDT 2000

At 08:16 PM 9/20/00 -0400, William H. Geiger III wrote:
>It seems that Qualcomm is bouncing all multipart mime messages.
> I have bounces of PGP/MIME messages, multipart/alternative messages
> (text & html), > & a poorly formatted multipart/mixed that only had
> one part which was the text of the message.

Eudora has trouble with some of the MIME variants used by Mutt.
I don't know if that's because Mutt's outputting wrong formats,
or because Eudora's failing to interpret them correctly,
but if they reuse the same code in their mail servers
it wouldn't be surprising if their policy chokes on some of it.
And there's *lots* of other badly formatted mail out there,
though lots of that is spam.

>This seems to be a rather anal approach to filtering out potential virus.
> Considering that Qualcomm is a member of the IMC
> (Internet Mail Consortium) it would be funny if not so sad.

If you do good bouncegrams when you reject incorrectly formatted mail,
the sender will probably retry, so occasional false positives
on mail from humans aren't a big problem, and of course bouncing
mail from spambots isn't a problem.  The worst case is when you
reject mail that was generated by a bot you actually *wanted*
to receive mail from, but hopefully most of those have
administrators checking their rejects.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com