CDR: reputation required for evolution of cooperation in _Science_

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 22 13:10:26 PDT 2000

Science V 289 8 Sept 2000 p 1773-1775

"Fairness vs Reason in the Ultimatum Game"
Nowak, Page, Sigmund

(from the abstract)

"The rational solution, suggested by game theory, is
for the proposer to offer the smallest possible share
and for teh responder to accept it.  If humans play
the game, however, the most frequent outcome is a fair
share.  In this paper, we develop an evolutionary
approach to the Ultimatum Game.  We show that fairness
will evolve if the proposer can obtain some information
on what deals the responder has accepted in the past.
Hence, the evolution of fairness, similarly to the
evolution of cooperation, is linked to reputation"

In the ultimatum game, two players are offered a chance
to win a certain sum of money.  All they must do is divide
it. ...if the responder rejects the deal, both get nothing.