CDR: Re: A cool idea that didn't hold up under cryptanalysis.

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Thu Sep 21 15:37:58 PDT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Marcel Popescu wrote:

> From: "Ray Dillinger" <bear at sonic.net>
>
> > I've developed methods for solving vignere, general
> > transpositions, playfair, etc...  just basically bringing
> > myself up to speed with the general background of the field.
>
> Would you mind writing a "tutorial for the beginner cryptanalist"?

I'd be willing to provide a home for any such material on the SSZ CDR
webpage. I've been re-reading Codebreakers (Kahn) and doing some
pencil-n-paper doodling along the same lines. My intention was to use
Perl.

I'd also like to offer that Poe's Crypto Challenge might be a good way to
demonstrate the various attacks.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com