CDR: Re: email interception

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 21 08:19:34 PDT 2000

In the United States, this used to be covered under the 1986 Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. Intercepting e-mail was illegal, but there
was a distinction between "communications in transit" and "stored
communications." This distinction had bearing on the difficulty of
obtaining a search warrant; I don't remember if it had bearing on the
penalty as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has changed due to more recent
legislation, however, given recent tendencies of the U.S. Congress.

-David