Identity theft (Ellison, RISKS-21.05)

Martin Minow minow at pobox.com
Wed Sep 20 20:08:29 PDT 2000

> Now -- how do we get consumer protection laws that make it clear that a
> consumer is not liable for any debts incurred by someone claiming to be
> him/her ...

Having recently been on the receiving end of identity theft, I'm a bit more
optimistic than Carl. I solved my problem by reading the back page of the
credit report, where it provided addresses of the federal agencies that
regulate collection bureaus, banks, and similar organizations. Letters to
the agencies resulted in one "opening a case" and, eventually, a letter of
apology from the bank in question (who hadn't answered my previous
requests/complaints).  I used an account record book -- a bound notebook
with numbered pages -- that had dated notes of every interaction I had with
the banks and credit card agencies, interspersed with software notes,
interesting URL's, telemarketing caller numbers, and other scribbles. This
let me document my complaints with the specific dates and times that I
attempted to resolve the problem.

Martin Minow minow at pobox.com

---
All inventions or works of authorship original to me,
herein and past, are placed irrevocably in the public
domain, and may be used or modified for any purpose,
without permission, attribution, or notification.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C028A3.8160D100

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: More from RISKS</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Sorry, it wasn't a "private solution" but relied on the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>existing legal protections under Federal Law.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>If I was asking for more laws, I'd ask for the Swedish</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>credit disclosure law that says that whenever a company</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>writes a credit report it must provide the individual</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>with a true and accurate copy (without any action on</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the individual's part).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Martin Minow</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>minow at pobox.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2> </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Marcel Popescu [<A HREF="mailto:marcel at aiurea.com">mailto:marcel at aiurea.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 9:44 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Multiple recipients of list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: More from RISKS</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>A private solution to the problem that one Carl wanted more laws to solve:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:08:29 -0700</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>X-Loop: openpgp.net</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Martin Minow <minow at pobox.com></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: Re: Identity theft (Ellison, RISKS-21.05)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>> Now -- how do we get consumer protection laws that make it clear that a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>> consumer is not liable for any debts incurred by someone claiming to be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>> him/her ...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Having recently been on the receiving end of identity theft, I'm a bit more</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>optimistic than Carl. I solved my problem by reading the back page of the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>credit report, where it provided addresses of the federal agencies that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>regulate collection bureaus, banks, and similar organizations. Letters to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the agencies resulted in one "opening a case" and, eventually, a letter of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>apology from the bank in question (who hadn't answered my previous</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>requests/complaints).  I used an account record book -- a bound notebook</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>with numbered pages -- that had dated notes of every interaction I had with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the banks and credit card agencies, interspersed with software notes,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>interesting URL's, telemarketing caller numbers, and other scribbles. This</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>let me document my complaints with the specific dates and times that I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>attempted to resolve the problem.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Martin Minow minow at pobox.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>---</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>All inventions or works of authorship original to me,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>herein and past, are placed irrevocably in the public</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>domain, and may be used or modified for any purpose,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>without permission, attribution, or notification.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>