CDR: Canada outlaws anonymous remailers (was Re: GigaLaw.com Daily

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed Sep 20 14:11:06 PDT 2000

I don't think it does anything to us.

I think the title of the email is more interesting than the article,
which is about a company being forced to hand over information that
they have.  We've always believed that this was the case under
Canadian law, and are unsuprised.  We designed our systems so that
this isn't a worry, and are comfortable that thats a fine stance under
Canadian law.

Adam

| I wonder what this does to Zero Knowledge Systems?
|
| Cheers,
| RAH
|
| At 3:52 AM -0700 on 9/15/00, GigaLaw.com wrote:
|

| > Canadian Ruling Could Unmask Anonymous E-mailers
| >      Canadian e-mailers can no longer hide behind a cloak of anonymity if
| > reasonable grounds exist to show they've distributed defamatory statements
| > over the Internet. The change in Canadian law came after a landmark court
| > ruling this week when an Ontario Superior Court Justice ordered Internet
| > service provider iPRIMUS Inc. of Toronto to reveal the identity of an
| > anonymous e-mailer.
| >      Read the article: Wired News @
| > http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,38734,00.html

					               -Hume