CDR: Re: was: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

Gil Hamilton gil_hamilton at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 05:53:26 PDT 2000

Marcel Popescu writes:
>From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>
>
> > Imagine if the software business were like this - that the programmers
> > of the late 40's had formed an American Programmers Association,
> > and it was unlawful for anyone without APA certification to write
> > code for money.
>
>Some people are trying to do this. See for example
>http://www.colosseumbuilders.com/american.htm [I especially find the "no
>foreign competition" (aka "no H1-B") disgusting. Tim May notwithstanding,
>we
>DO compete with the americans - and a lot of us are better.]

What a hoot!  Thanks for the pointer. I don't know who these bozos
are, but their web site reads like the product of a bunch of high
school dropouts.  Guilds are of course dangerous and a bad idea,
for a long list of reasons that we've been over on this list
dozens of times.  Fortunately, no one is likely to take these
"programmers" seriously.

As a long-time software designer and implementer, I can
confidently say that anyone who believes there is no shortage
of programmers either isn't a programmer himself or has let his
skill set get way out of date.  And no, I don't live or work
anywhere near Silicon Valley either.  (Apparently, these folks
believe that it is the responsibility of their employers to
train them - they really need to take charge of their own
careers.)

They, as well as the academics whose works they have links to,
apparently believe that all those job postings in the papers and
on web sites are a vast right wing conspiracy designed to allow
the Evil Big Corporations to hire foreign programmers for peanuts
thru the H-1B program.

Mark, don't worry, the real programmers among us aren't afraid to
compete (actually, right now, there's plenty of work for everyone
who is competent so there's little need for real competetition).
Fortunately, these losers are unlikely to be successful in their
organizational and lobbying efforts.

- GH