CDR: Asymmetrical spam again

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 03:35:23 PDT 2000

Asymmetric wrote:

> >>That the list be changed so that un_registered email addresses cannot send
> >>messages to it?  This spam is getting ridiculous.

[...snip...]

> The benefits of having the list open to u_nsubscribed postings seem far
> outweighed by the cost in time spent by everyone filtering messages and
> server resources that could be better spent running dnetc if nothing else
> ;). It's just auxiliary that I've never seen an anonymous post to the list
> in the past when I subscribed, nor more recently since I
> resubscribed.  Undoubtedly some smartass will send an anonymous message to
> the list now just to say "see!"

[...snip...]

Listen carefully. I will say this only once. Well, twice actually
because the first attempt at posting this bounced.

All you say is true.

Moderated and closed lists are good ideas. Such good ideas that nearly
every mailing list in the world is closed and moderated. But maybe, just
maybe, there is some reason for an open, unmoderated list. Just one in
the whole world. This is that list.

Or maybe there are some loonies out there who for motives of
their own (that you might or might not approve of, as if they cared),
wish to read an open, unmoderated list.   These are those loonies.
If you don't like it, or them,  you can join another list. No-ones
stopping you. You can even make your own list if you want.

It's like someone visits a farm and complains that the place is full of
animals... or a farmer visits the city and moans about all those
houses...

> What about just creating another list (closed-posting) and then just
> allowing people to choose which to subscribe to?  Obviously, the
> open-posting list would be subscribed to the closed posting list, but not
> the other way around.. so at the risk of missing the massively important
> anonymous message that has yet to be sent, I could eliminate some of this spam?

Another good suggestion. So good I think someone made it back in about
1995 (or was it 1997?). Feel free to create such a list yourself, if you
want another one.

Ken