CDR: Re: RIAA seizures

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Wed Sep 20 11:13:14 PDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, sunder wrote:

> David Honig wrote:
> > >Oh, you dont have to.
> > >Listening, Kaplan?
> >
> > A. Melon is probably alluding to something Kaplan doesn't 'get':
> > To copy a DVD you don't need DeCSS.  Bits are bits.
>
> Um, yeah, but this wasn't about DVD's, it was about CD's, so the
> "sarcasm" is totally misplaced, hence my "WTF? is A Melon smoking?"
> comment diguised as "Call me slow, but..."
>
> Now, if the kid in the dorm was pirating DVD's, yeah, that would
> be understandable.

Actually I can see this case being used as an excuse to encrypt all CDs.
(Not that it would have prevented anyone from copying them.)  They do not
seem to care if everyone has to buy new equiptment or spend a few dollars
more on CDs, as long as they can increase their stranglehold on how people
obtain music.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."