CDR: Re: CueCat tells tales...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 20 10:01:00 PDT 2000

At 12:27 PM -0400 9/20/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Peter, this deal was inked by Wired magazine's marketing folks, and
>I have precisely zero contact with them. In other words, I have no
>clue, but can probably forward you in the right direction. --Declan

I guess this really does mark the transmogrification of "Wired" into
a Panopticon-friendly corporatocracy.

(Not that I ever expected otherwise of a company driven by glossy
ads. The crypto and anarchy stuff is just a hint of danger to
increase the sex appeal so more ads can be sold.)

>At 12:15 9/20/2000 -0400, Peter Trei wrote:
>>Well, well well, this is interesting....
>>
>>Along with my most recent issue of Wired (yes,
>>I subscribe) I got a a little box containing
>>a 'CueCat'. This is a barcode scanner shaped
>>like a stylized kittycat, made by
>>Digital Convergence.
>>
>>Well, it turns out that it does a little more
>>than just point my browser at an advertiser's
>>site. It apparently also sends a per-device
>>serial number (bound to my registration,
>>including the usual sacrifice of personal data)
>>along with the barcode data, back to Digital
>>Convergence.

>>DC thus gets to build a profile of my interests,
>>bound to the name, address, etc I provided at
>>registration.

Sounds like another chance for "mixes" at physical meetings. Put your
Cue Cat in a bowl with a bunch of others. Of course, folks may not
want more physical spam arriving in their mailboxes.

Or provide false addresses. Perhaps the addresses of Cue Cat or Wired staff?

>>DC does have a moderately good privacy policy
>>stated on their web page, and claims they
>>will never voluntarily release per-person
>>data to third parties.

Being able to fake sincerity is essential to operating in the modern
Internet business environment. Platitudes about customer privacy are
necessary. Remember eToys.

BTW, I just flipped through a copy of "Wired" in one of our
bookstores. First time I've done so in a couple of years. Still
dominated by ads, and blurbs on "cool stuff" that doesn't look very
interesting to me.

When "Wired" came out, it was heavily criticized for its "ransom
note" style, and its clutter and visual confusion. Interestingly, now
the very news stands themselves have become exemplars of this visual
confusion: go into any "Borders" or "Barnes and Noble" and see
literally 1500 magazines crowding the shelves. A dozen magazines on
skateboarding, several dozen on "style".... magazines for women, for
persons of peircing, for transgendered pizza deliverypersons, for any
conceivable group.

The whole news stand looks like a ransom note.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.