CDR: Re: RC4 source as a literate program

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Tue Sep 19 23:38:39 PDT 2000

I can't fault the accuracy of your comment, Tim.  Interestingly enough,
however, the usual "it's who you know" seems to control what happens.  From
a Guest Editorial published today in the Oregonian newspaper by Elizabeth
Drew, author of the book "The Corruption of American Politics; What went
wrong and why."

"In 1996, Common Cause filed a complaint with the Justice Department.  It
maintained that the soft-money ads themselves violated the law and that
there was a clear pattern of coordination between the candidates campaigns
and the national committees.  Following the usual O.K. Corral scene at the
Justic Department, Attorney General Janet Reno--without investigating the
complaint--ruled that since the Clinton Campaign had consulted its lawyers,
no criminal intent was involved, and closed the case.  (FBI Director Louis
Freeh, Charles LaBella, Reno's chosen chief prosecutor for the campaign
finance task force, and others objected vehembently to this course of
nonaction.)  Reno bucked the issue over to the feckless Federal Elections
Commission, which did what it usually does:  nothing."  But before the FEC
buried the issue, its general counsel, Lawrence Noble, did find that party
ads violated election laws and recommended the campaigns repay millions of
dollars."     [end of quote]

The real  problem with the "I consulted my lawyer so there's no criminal
intent" is that government simply does not follow its own rules.  But I've
got a solution to that problem.

Jim Bell