CDR: The Dark Horse of Intellect Rides Again

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Tue Sep 19 16:55:50 PDT 2000

Speaking of sloppy thinking...

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, David Marshall wrote:

> English as a second (or higher) language. It's more about *very*
> sloppy thinking. A mild example of it is "Dark Horse" telling me to
> give him a "simple answer : yes or no" and then asking me a question
> to which he clearly wants more than a simple "yes" or "no." (Note that
> I'm not counting as sloppy thinking the problems which are inherent in
> most languages, such as the answer to "Is it day or night?" being
> "yes" in all cases.)

Actualy 'yes' or 'no' aren't valid responces. Only 'day' or 'night', one
or the other but not both. This is the English OR not a Boolean Algebra
operation.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com