CDR: Re: would it be so much to ask..

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Sep 19 10:42:42 PDT 2000

At 12:43 PM -0400 9/19/00, Asymmetric wrote:
>At 10:24 09/19/2000 -0500, Anonymous Coward vomited:
>
>>       Hey, Retardo -- when did you ever check? If you had, you'd know
>>that you can't reply to anon remailers. Try replying to this, you clueless
>>shit. Now shut the fuck up about this bullshit, we're all tired of the
>>subject, and if you can't be bothered to check the archives, get the fuck
>>off the list.
>
>Actually asshole, there are plenty of anonymous remailers that DO
>let you reply to the originator.  In case you're just a bit wet
>behind the ears yet and hadn't heard, a while back there was a big
>problem with one of them when the government ordered them to release
>their database mapping the pseudonyms back to the originators.

You're way behind the times. Julf's system has been down for several years.

A few Cypherpunks-style remailers support reply blocks, but very few.
And if a reply block of some sort is not in the original message,
it's of course hopeless. There were no such reply blocks in the
messages cited here.

>Clueless?  Far from it.
>
>How about this.. you shut your own ignorant ass before you make a
>bigger fool of yourself than you already have, and try and fucking
>consider for one second how you manage to sort through a hundred
>fucking spam messages a day sent to this list,

1. For starters, there are not a "hundred" spam messages a day. At
the peak, when some yahoo (TM, The Yahoo Corporation) subscribed the
toad address to many other lists, there were perhaps 50 such messages
a day for a few days.

2. Being that the toad.com address was not to be the long term list
address (Gilmore told us to find other host machines), I divert all
toad.com traffic into its own folder. Which I sometimes look at,
scan, but sometimes just delete en masse. This cuts out about 80% of
all commercial messages, as near as I can tell.

3. Determining which remaining messages are spam is relatively easy.
"THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BECOME WEALTHY!" and "Printer Supplies CHEAP"
sort of gives it all away.

4. Filters.

5. There are compelling reasons to allow non-subscribed addresses.

These points have been covered in hundreds of posts in dozens of
threads over several years. Consult the archives.

I've yet to see "Asymmetric <all at biosys.net>" post any meaningful or
interesting articles, so I expect he's just another clueless newbie
who's stumbled onto our list and now wants to remake it. Typical.

>and yet you apparently don't have the mental facility to delete my
>own messages if you find them so useless.  It's pretty simple for
>you to add me to the killfile, why don't you do it?  I could
>personally give a shit if you never read anything more I have to
>say.  Have fun filtering the spam.

Your wish is my command.

* P L O N K *

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.