CDR: Re: -C-P- Re: would it be so much to ask..

Asymmetric all at biosys.net
Tue Sep 19 05:04:01 PDT 2000

At 10:54 09/19/2000 +0200, harald at f00.nu wrote:
>At 17:08 2000-09-18 -0400, you wrote:
>>That the list be changed so that unregistered email addresses cannot send
>>messages to it?  This spam is getting ridiculous.
>
>I suppose you know why we donĀ“t have that (the remailing issue). But I
>kinda have another idea. Just start every subject line with eg -C-P- like
>I did now, then it would be really easy to filter all the mail.

Last I checked the remailers allowed return mail to be sent through them,
to the owner of the anonymous account.. isn't that the point?  It's easy
enough to forge the email header that I can't believe they exist just to
totally isolate anyone from the responses.. how would someone using a
remailer even join the list (to receive messages) if that was the point?

The only part where I see this being useful is if somebody has some kind of
anonymous announcement to make, where they don't intend to join the list.

I can't see the -C-P- subject as really being functional for sorting out
spam mail because anyone new to the list won't know to put them in, nor the
people I mentioned who might wish to make anonymous announcements.

The benefits of having the list open to unsubscribed postings seem far
outweighed by the cost in time spent by everyone filtering messages and
server resources that could be better spent running dnetc if nothing else
;). It's just auxiliary that I've never seen an anonymous post to the list
in the past when I subscribed, nor more recently since I
resubscribed.  Undoubtedly some smartass will send an anonymous message to
the list now just to say "see!" :P

There has to be some way around this that will still preserve anonymity,
although one doesn't seem readily apparent unless the anonymous party
subscribes under their pseudonym.

What about just creating another list (closed-posting) and then just
allowing people to choose which to subscribe to?  Obviously, the
open-posting list would be subscribed to the closed posting list, but not
the other way around.. so at the risk of missing the massively important
anonymous message that has yet to be sent, I could eliminate some of this spam?

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org