CDR: SW License

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Mon Sep 18 14:03:13 PDT 2000

> Here's another link on licensing of software engineers, this time from the
> ACM:
>
> http://www.acm.org/serving/se_policy/report.html
>
> it seems that cryptographic/security software, if we ever get the
> liability structure whose lack is often pointed out by Schneier ("we don't
> have good security because we don't have to"), may be a prime target for
> such licensing.
>
> -david

How would such legislation affect those who call themselves SW :

 designers
 practitioners
 developers
 creators
 quality assessors
 implementors
 builders
 artists
 authors
 artisans

Because they are not licensed SWEs they would not be able to get their
obj modules signed to allow execution on legal HW? Illegal HW would be
detected and prosecutable?

An ineffective but burdensome SW Eng licensing bureaucracy will probably
be set up that will limit or control the access of some developers to
certain contracts or projects especially anything purchased using public
funds or "affecting the safety of the public".