CDR: Re: SW License

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Sep 18 14:50:56 PDT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Michael Motyka wrote:

> How would such legislation affect those who call themselves SW :
>
>  designers
>  practitioners
>  developers
>  creators
>  quality assessors
>  implementors
>  builders
>  artists
>  authors
>  artisans

At least here in Texas not at all.

> Because they are not licensed SWEs they would not be able to get their
> obj modules signed to allow execution on legal HW? Illegal HW would be
> detected and prosecutable?

Actualy it has to do more with insurance and legal liability. With the
certification it actualy makes it easier to hold somebody responsible for
failures. There are also a lot of insurance issues (which I don't claim to
fully understand, nor want to) as well. At least here in Texas the move
seems to be pushed mainly by lawyers and other litigation related groups.

It's probably the same group, at least in part, who pushed through the
changes on the Professional Engineer Cert. that required a college degree
to even join the PE program for certification. The same for the Bar a few
years ago they changed it so you had to be a graduage of an accredited law
school.

It's about as silly as the attempted outlawing of self-help legal material
here in Texas by the Bar and its cohorts.

It's a mechanism to raise taxes through the licensing of all business (no
objection) and inrease litigation (big objection).

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com