CDR: RE: was: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

Kerry L. Bonin kerry at vscape.com
Mon Sep 18 13:44:06 PDT 2000

At 02:42 PM 9/18/00 -0400, dmolnar wrote:

>Here's another link on licensing of software engineers, this time from the
>ACM:
>
>http://www.acm.org/serving/se_policy/report.html
>
>it seems that cryptographic/security software, if we ever get the
>liability structure whose lack is often pointed out by Schneier ("we don't
>have good security because we don't have to"), may be a prime target for
>such licensing.
>
>-david

To one extent, this has already happened.  Under 15 CFR Part 740.13, in
order to distribute public domain / open source cryptographic software
without the classic restrictions under ITAR, you have to register yourself
by sending an email to the NSA (well, the BXA address whose office happens
to be in Ft. Meade.)

So we already have mandatory registration for open source crypto developers.

If key escrow legislation finally passes, they've got the list of
individuals and companies to lean on, and imagine thats where licensing
will come in.