CDR: RE: was: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Sep 18 12:10:16 PDT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, dmolnar wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Trei, Peter wrote:
>
> > Entrance to the hallowed membership would, of course, require a
> > four year electrical engineering degree followed by a post graduate
> > degree from an accredited computer school.
> >
> > I'll leave it to others to imagine the world with an APA. I think it would
> > be a much poorer place.
>
> Dude, do you read _Communications of the ACM_ ? Professional licensing of
> "software engineers" is a fact in Texas.

No, it isn't. I have lived in Texas for 34 of my 40 years and written
software for income the last 23 years. My current job title is 'Senior
Software Engineer' and I don't even have a degree. While it is true I can't
use any term with 'Engineer' in it for personal business without a degree
(you used to not need this), 5 years of apprenticeship to a current PE,
and pass a test (though my employer can call me an 'engineer' or whatever
with no regulation), there are no legal requirements for same either. You
can get a 'Professional Engineer' certification but it is not specificaly
in programming. It includes a bunch of crap out of EE & ME as well.

There IS a lot of talk about it but there is NO requirement for licensing
as a 'Professional Engineer' in Tx. It probably won't pass since the vast
majority of programmers I work with are dead against it.

I'm afraid that if this is what the ACM is passing around, they got it
wrong.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com