CDR: Amex supports CARNIVORE enabled Anonymity System,

Bob Jones abadee2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 10:25:07 PDT 2000

>ZKS and Anonymizer have the wrong business model in
>terms
>of what consumers want. They're too techie. What
>people
>(as opposed to cypherpunks ;-) want is privacy AND
the
>ability to make purchases without spreading their CC#
>all over.
>
>This is the hottest area of privacy services, and
>competition is starting to heat up, with more and
>more firms deciding to provide such services.
>
>Card issuers would seem to have an advantage here.
>
>An early "release" (can you say 'vaporware') is
>being promoted in TV commercials by American Express.
>
>The commercial shows the narrator/consumer talking
>about wanting Internet privacy, while his face is
>obscured the entire commercial. The ending has him
>claiming complete Internet privacy, including for
>purchases, and shows a symbolic AmEx card with the
>name X'd out.
>("I'm finally getting the recognition I deserve.")
>
>AmEx signed an agreement on 9/7/2000 with Privada to
>provide the proxying Internet access, and AmEx says
>it will roll out Privacy Payments within the next
>month.
>
>Privada notes at
>http://www.privada.net/news/index.html

What a load of shit.   If you check that URL the next
thing you see the following release

-----------------------------
http://www.privada.net/news/releases/20000717.html

Privada's Technology Protects Users' Privacy, Only
Monitors Those Who Abuse It
Technology solves the problem of responsible privacy
SAN JOSE, Calif. – July 17, 2000 – In the wake of the
FBI's recent Carnivore system unveiling, the question
of responsible privacy has reached a critical head.
While the government struggles to balance security and
privacy, and technology continues to evolve, consumers
are confronted with a scenario where through no fault
of their own, they may have the government snooping
through their email.

When Carnivore is placed with an Internet service
provider, it scans all incoming and outgoing emails
for messages associated with the target of a criminal
probe. Further, while the system is plugged into the
ISP's network, it is controlled solely by the law
enforcement agency. In a traditional wiretap, the tap
is physically placed and maintained by the telephone
company. With Carnivore, the privacy of all an ISP's
customers is at risk, with no involvement or control
by the ISP.

Enter Privada
Through a patent pending privacy management
infrastructure, Privada delivers a much-needed
balanced and societally appropriate solution. Built
into that infrastructure is a component called the
Monitor that only monitors those who have abused their
right to privacy, giving ISPs a tool for complying
with law enforcement subpoenas without infringing upon
the privacy of all users.

------------
And yet another

---------------------

Privacy Expert Says Democracy Demands "Responsible"
Privacy Protections
Glee Harrah Cady of Privada, Inc. Says Innovative
Technology That Empowers Consumers Is Better Than
Regulation In Solving Privacy Concerns
WASHINGTON, D.C. – September 14, 2000 – An executive
from one of America's leading privacy technology
companies warned those attending a summit here that
efforts to create a one-size-fits-all law protecting
privacy will never be as effective as the solutions
offered by ongoing technological innovation.

"Privacy is fundamental to any democracy," said Glee
Harrah Cady, Vice President of Global Public Policy
for the San Jose-based Privada, Inc. "People must be
able to fully express their opinions and thoughts
without fear. Anonymity can be important to the
democratic process, but it also can be abused."

Cady pointed to recent incidents of hacking and the
spread of computer viruses as circumstances in which
anonymity does not serve the public good. "Privacy is
a right until you misuse it," she told participants at
the Global Privacy Summit.

-----------------------------------

Obviously AMEX & Privada don't have a clue as to the
history of privacy and privacy tools...

What about civil john doe complaints?
What about Church of $cientology and Penet.fi?
What about the entire key escrow debate?
What about the entire clipper debate?

If anyone really things that 'identity escrow' enabled
privacy products are what the market is looking for,
they are seriously clueless.

This is obviously snake oil.