CDR: Archive Resurrection Potentials...

Wilfred L. Guerin Wilfred at Cryogen.com
Fri Sep 15 15:40:26 PDT 2000

Archive Resurrection Potentials...

-=|=-
[Relevance: Censorship, Restrictions and Usurption, Archives, Havenco,
Modern Fluff]

Whilest working on a simple project this afternoon, I came across the need
for multiple old files and programs which would serve ideally without
having to recode stuff we did years ago...

<b> Historically, these elements would be easily found on places like
ILF.net, LordSomer's, BroncBuster's, Silicon Toad's, and numerous other
related sites (Specialized in various fields)... </b>

Now, logic indicates that these files should be present on our heavily
censored phoney info-distribution centers managed by "you cant know what we
know" mentality orgs like Kroll and whatnot... But??? (The rest are quite
limited overall)

After further pondering, and some simple "research", I quickly confirmed
that current software developers (especially those requiring large $$ to
even use) have paid absolutely NO heed to their intellectual predecessors'
research and whatnot...

Vulnerabilities cleaned prior 3+ years ago are now again open all over,
techniques and methods utilized in the most simple analysis long ago are
again even more potent and valid now, and such resurrection of these basic
technologies and methods into the current (obviously less aware) common
reality might serve quite well at refreshing the memory of those who
produce software and so easily forget that their "new" toy/system was once
the epitome of 'amusement' as it was ripped to shreds years ago... But how
would they know?

There are two complications here now... The finding of all related archives
may be quite taxing, as everyone has lost or eliminated data and archives
over time, however, I believe it would be quite beneficial to re-up various
file and website archives for common education...

We know that ILF.net's drive failure lost a majority of the server long
ago, however, there are absolutely no public caches of the contents of this
VERY Significant host (in the history of technology)... Various other
archives have long since been taken offline, yet there is a HIGH
probability that the community may be able to recompile the majority of
archives and information.

Although in most probability, there will be holes in each individual
archive, there are no holes across the collaborative...

I will assume the owners of places like "Infinity Void" and whatnot still
have at least some remnants of these projects? ;) (I have parts of others,
but not much of anything any more...)

Now... Logic states that re-awakening these old projects will come with
some potential problems from many sides... Although they are mere files,
all of which can be hosted on one physical server easily, there is need for
some type of centralized and impervious (haven) location for this array of
archives...

The resulting logic is obvious... Especially with the heavy
cross-involvement of each of the old entities with various modern projects...

What sayist the community to such a pursuit? I believe it would be ideal in
the common interest, and do nothing less than benefit the community as a
whole. (Even if limited in capability, such old code and archives may
easily serve both the (re?)education and nostalgia of the community...)

Shall we find all these old drives and ship data somewhere for an archive
to be parsed and sites resurrected?

-Wilfred L. Guerin
Wilfred at Cryogen.com

-=|=-