CDR: Re: censorship rears its head

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Sep 14 21:47:04 PDT 2000

At 8:26 PM -0400 9/14/00, David Marshall wrote:

>Some attorney (RAT) has filed suit against the entertainment industry
>over the shooting in Peduchah, Kentucky. Right now he's doing the talk
>radio circuit, trying to drum up support. (I suppose to cause such a
>public outcry that the judge feels strongarmed to rule in his favor,
>and to taint juries.)

There are a bunch of these kinds of cases in the U.S. today. Suits
against gun makers, against Hollywood studios ("Natural Born
Killers," for example), against record companies, etc.

It used to be that one was held responsible for one's own actions.
These suits are going forward because, as so many folks have pointed
out, we are a "victimization society." "He made me do it!" "Twinkies
caused me to kill." "Colt made the weapons, so they should pay."

I have no patience with such arguments. (I have little patience in general.)

Strong crypto will mean punishment is ultimately delivered to the
tens of millions who need to be dealt with.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.