CDR: Re: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

Jay Holovacs holovacs at idt.net
Thu Sep 14 07:28:35 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Jodi Hoffman <jlhoffm at attglobal.net>
To: Jay Holovacs <holovacs at idt.net>
Cc: Lizard <lizard at mrlizard.com>; Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>;
<fight-censorship at vorlon.mit.edu>; <cypherpunks at cyberpass.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: And you thought Nazi agitprop was controversial?

> You are wrong to protect them without knowing what they're about, Jay.

How many times do I have to say this. I am *not* protecting them. I am
protecting free speech... my free speech, your free speech.

This is much more dangerous than you seem to realize. It's tempting to let
them get 'theirs' because their ideas are ugly to many of us. But if they
can be held liable for a vicious murder (which they did not advocate or
instigate) on the part of someone who read their site... what keeps you from
being held accountable for someone who reads your site then kills a gay?

What keeps a book author or film director from being criminalized because
some sicko copycats an incident they describe?

This has nothing to do with protecting them, regardless of what they
believe. It is enlightened self interest.

jay