CDR: Re: Lee Free - Judge Apologizes For Government's Conduct

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 13 15:02:44 PDT 2000

At 5:45 PM -0400 9/13/00, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>Eric Cordian wrote:
>

>>  ''I sincerely apologize to you, Dr. Lee, for the unfair manner in which
>>  you were held in custody by the executive branch,'' Parker said.
>>
>>  Parker said the Departments of Justice and Energy ''have embarrassed our
>>  entire nation and each of us who is a citizen of it.''
>>

>      Why, then, did he find Lee guilty of a felony? He could have
>dismissed the charges, eh?

Many things are felonies. I commit between 3 and 5 felonies a month,
at least that I know of.

In this case, "improperly handling secrets" is a felony. Same kind of
mishandling that former DOD Secretary William Perry may be charged
with.

As to why the deal included this single remaining count, the news
stories are filled with much verbosity on this. Stuff about fig
leaves, sending messages to other secret holders, etc.

You claim to be a librarian...look it up.

Now, did this particular felony justify 9 months of solitary
confinement, loss of employment and retirement benefits, and so on?
And will William Perry and others now face comparable treatments?

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.