CDR: Re: Quantum Computing Talk at WPI, 8/12

Bj=F6rn?= Ganslandt 023513090-0002 at t-online.de.=?iso-8859-1?q?
Wed Sep 13 11:17:36 PDT 2000

Robert Hettinga wrote:

> Quantum computers, if ever built, will be able to factor numbers
> beyond the reach of traditional methods.  The development of quantum
> computation would mean the demise of RSA and other public key
> cryptosystems. We show the main idea of Shor's quantum factoring
> algorithm and assess the complexity of the circuit implementing the
> algorithm. We describe the current state of experimental quantum
> computing and the most promising ideas concerning the implementation
> of quantum logic.
>
> Classical supercomputers has recently reached the computational power
> of one teraflop (10^12 floating point operations per second). We will
> discuss the current effort to built a petaflops scale computer (peta
> = 10^15) based on the combination of advanced technologies such as
> superconducting digital electronics, cryogenic CMOS, optical
> switches, and holographic memories. Breaking existing ciphers is
> certainly one of the primary applications of this new class of
> computing machines.
>
> For a Kris Gay's biography please check:
> http://www.ee.rochester.edu/~ee492/bio/bio.html

I think till quantum computers will crack RSA keys in days or less, it will take
some time, because todays quantum computers have only about 3 Q-bits and
factoring of a RSA key takes much more.

Bjoern Ganslandt