CDR: MPAA honeypot (Re: MPAA thinks linking is illegal [cpunk]

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Sep 13 07:41:34 PDT 2000

[I'm seeing a *large* number of messages yesterday
and today which apparently have sat on some spool
for around 2 weeks. In some cases, responses to
these messages got through rapidly, but the original
did not.]

> ----------
> David Honig[SMTP:honig at sprynet.com] writes:
> At 04:09 PM 8/30/00 -0400, Greg Newby wrote:
> >I was forced to remove my copy of the DeCSS code this spring by UNC as
> >a result of a complaint by the MPAA.
>
> First, You have the right to contest any copyright infringement they
> allege to your ISP (UNC in this case).  Second, linking isn't copyright
> infringement.

	[...]
> or confuse them:
>
> Post DeCSS under a different file name, possibly changing the .zip
> to avoid recognition by filesize.  Include enough text on your page
> to help the search engines.  (will the next MPAA target be search
> engines, which will be prohibited from indexing DeCSS?)
	[...]

Last weekend, someone spammed the DeCSS code to all or most
of the the comp.* usenet newsgroups. Deja has already removed all
of the original posts, but not messages which quote the original - for
example, the post noting this as a spam event contains the entire
source, and is still up.

[It's possible that the posting had an x-no-archive header, but I doubt
it]

Peter